On July 12, 2023, at the Africa Law Tech Festival in Nairobi, the Datasphere Initiative launched the Africa Forum on Sandboxes for Data. The Forum will convene leaders in government, industry, academia, civil society, and the technical community, to build a pan-African community to enable innovative cross-border data governance solutions.
To mark the occasion, in this blog series, the Datasphere Initiative is asking data policymakers and shapers across the region why Africa needs to responsibly unlock the value of data for all and how sandboxes might help catalyze ideas into action.
In this first edition, we share blogs from:
- Adedeji Adeniran, Director of Research, and Ezra Ihezie, Research Associate, Centre for the Study of the Economies of Africa (CSEA).
- Rob Floyd, Director of Innovation and Digital Policy, Africa Center for Economic Transformation (ACET).
- Wanjiru Mburu, Digital Health, Consultant, Qhala.
- Irene Magara, Chief Operations Officer, Tatu Nurse.
Thought pieces will be shared on a rolling basis to collect ideas and input on issues the Africa Forum on Sandboxes for Data should address.
- If you would like to contribute a blog or nominate an expert contact us at email@example.com.
- If you would like to join the Africa Forum on Sandboxes for Data as a participant or partner fill out this online survey.
In addition, the Datasphere Initiative has launched a complete online learning experience: “A Guide to Cross-Border Sandboxes for Data”, featuring a dedicated regional module on Africa.
- Enroll for the online course here.